OHIP: Health Card

You need to visit a ServiceOntario centre if:

  1. You have never had Ontario health insurance coverage before (e.g., have moved from another country or province).
  2. Your red and white health card needs to be switched to a photo health card because:
    • You received a letter requesting you switch to a photo health card
    • It is lost, stolen or damaged (e.g., card is broken, magnetic strip doesn't work)
    • Your name has changed
    • Your date of birth or other information has been recorded incorrectly (your provider may discover this while checking your health card)
    • A health provider has advised you that there is something wrong with your card or your coverage
    • You received notification from the ministry to register for a photo health card
  3. Your photo health card needs to be renewed or replaced because:
    • The information shown on the card has changed (e.g., change of name)
    • You received a renewal notice that your health card is expiring
    • You are older than 15 ½ years of age and your photo health card is either expiring soon or has passed its renewal date (bottom right of the card). Please refer to Renewing Your Photo Health Card.

Whether applying for a new or replacement health card, you must bring three original documents to prove citizenship/immigration status, residency in Ontario and identity (refer to the Ontario Health Coverage Document List (form 9998E-82)).

You may be asked for additional documents. For example, if your name has changed you may need to provide a marriage certificate or a change of name certificate.

Children older than 15½ years of age must register in person and have their photo and signature captured. They will need their own original documents.

You do not need to go to a ServiceOntario centre if:

  • Your photo health card is lost, stolen or damaged (e.g., card is broken, magnetic stripe doesn't work)
  • Your child is under 15 ½ years of age and needs to renew his or her photo health card (refer to Renewing Your Photo Health Card)
  • You are 80 years of age or older ¬†and receive a notice allowing you to renew your photo health card by mail and you have no changes to name or address (refer to Renewing Your Photo Health Card)

If you need a replacement photo health card you can make your request by telephone or in writing as long as you have not changed any information as shown on the card itself, or the card has not expired.

January 2012

For More Information

Call ServiceOntario, Infoline at:
1-866-532-3161 (Toll-free in Ontario only)
TTY 1-800-387-5559.
In Toronto, TTY 416-327-4282
Hours of operation : 8:30am - 5:00pm

If you are a member of the media, call Communications and Marketing Branch at 416-314-6197 or visit our News Room section.

  • Connect With Us
Facebook Twitter YouTube RSS