Ontario Public Drug Program
What is Ontario doing to improve our drug programs?
As the ministry continues to improve Ontario’s drug programs, we are guided by two principles:
- to provide Ontario residents with better access to today’s best proven drug treatments
- to get better prices for our drugs so we can re-invest the money saved back into the system.
- Implemented changes to ensure the sustainability of the Ontario Public Drug Program and patients’ access to drugs by making the program more efficient and effective, including increasing the amount of medication dispensed at a time for patients using certain chronic medications.
- Launched the MedsCheck program which allows you to schedule a 20-30 minute meeting with your pharmacist to ensure you are taking your medications safely.
- Developed the Narcotics Monitoring System to promote the proper use of prescription narcotics and other controlled substances while working to reduce drug abuse and addiction.
- Developed the Evidence Building Program in partnership with Cancer Care Ontario.
- Created a Citizens' Council to give you a forum to provide opinions about the province’s drug policy.
- Set up a Pharmacy Council to provide expert advice to the ministry to help develop drug-related policy.
Through these actions, we aim to create a stronger, more effective system in five key areas:
- Improving patient access to the drugs they need.
- Ensuring better value for money.
- Promoting the proper use of medications.
- Investing in health system drug research.
- Strengthening the transparency and accountability of Ontario’s public drug system.
For More Information
Call ServiceOntario, Infoline at 1-866-532-3161
In Toronto, 416-314-5518
In Toronto, TTY 416-327-4282
Hours of operation : 8:30am - 5:00pm