Learn More >

Ministry Status: Routine Monitoring and Engagement

Health Care Provider Access to Drug and Pharmacy Service Information

As of fall 2016, health care providers are able to access the drug and pharmacy service information of Ontarians, starting with patients receiving health care in the Guelph region. To find out how your personal health information is being shared with health care providers, read below for more information about this initiative:

Notice to Ontarians Receiving Drugs and Pharmacy Services

This notice is to inform you that the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (Ministry) is making some improvements to the way your doctor and other health care providers will be able to share information with each other, in order to better deliver your care.

Is this notice for me?

This notice is for people who receive any of the following:

  • Publicly funded drugs (For example, seniors, Trillium Drug Program recipients);
  • Monitored drugs, including narcotics and controlled substances; or
  • Pharmacy services
    (For example, MedsCheck Program, Fecal Occult Blood Test/FOBT kits for colorectal cancer screening, Pharmacy Smoking Cessation Program, or vaccine administration)

The Ministry will provide access to information about the publicly funded drugs, monitored drugs or pharmacy services you receive to your health care providers (e.g. physicians, nurse practitioners and pharmacists who are directly involved with your care). This is so that they have more information about your medication and pharmacy service history to provide high quality health care to you. Health care providers are required by law to protect the privacy of your personal health information.

Can I block access to my information that would be used for health care purposes?

If you do not want any of your health care providers to see the information listed above, you can complete a form and submit it to the Ministry.

Before making this decision, you are encouraged to consult with your health care providers about the importance of them knowing your medication and pharmacy service history to help make informed decisions about the care you receive.

If you do not contact the Ministry to block access to your information, we will consider that you have given us permission to make your information available to your health care providers.

If the Ministry has previously notified you that access to your information has been blocked, the Ministry will not give your health care providers access to your information unless you request a change.

Even if you have blocked your health care providers from accessing information about your monitored drugs for the purpose of providing health care to you, information about your monitored drugs will still be accessible to a health care provider who has actually prescribed or dispensed a monitored drug to you, or is determining whether to prescribe or dispense a monitored drug to you. For more information, please see “Public Notice Regarding the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s (“ministry”) Collection, Use and Disclosure of Information under the Narcotics Safety and Awareness Act, 2010”.

For More Information

Call ServiceOntario Infoline at:
1-800-291-1405 (Toll-free in Ontario only)
TTY 1-800-387-5559.
In Toronto, TTY 416-327-4282
Hours of operation : 8:30am - 5:00pm