MedsCheck at Home
The MedsCheck at Home medication review program is for those patients who are not able to physically attend the community pharmacy in person for a MedsCheck due to their physical and/or mental health condition. As a pharmacist, you are taking the MedsCheck and reaching out to those patients that you rarely see due to their mobility issues. During the home visit you will also you will conduct a medicine cabinet review and remove unused drugs for proper disposal at the pharmacy.
The objectives of the MedsCheck at Home include:
- Improving and optimizing drug therapy for those who are frail, elderly and living in isolated conditions
- Achieving safe, effective and appropriate use of all types of medications and medication devices
- Promoting healthier patient outcomes and quality of life
- Aligning with the ministry’s Aging at Home strategy and chronic disease management
- Ensuring proper disposal of unused and/or expired medication
- Any Ontarian with a valid Ontario Health Card, living in Ontario, taking a minimum of 3 prescription medications for a chronic condition and who are not otherwise able to attend the community pharmacy.
- Patients are typically frail and elderly; home bound and/or living in isolated conditions
Conducting MedsCheck at Home:
- Assessment conducted at patient’s home with patient or care giver’s consent
- Assessment summary requires the date and signatures of patient or caregiver, pharmacist, or supervising pharmacist (if an intern or student conducted the assessment)
- Appropriate documentation/consent required from patient before pharmacist can accept a person’s prescription medication for disposal.
- Documentation must be maintained on site at the pharmacy for a minimum of not less than 2 years for the purposes of audit under the ODB program
Pharmacist Educational Requirements:
- Assessment to be conducted by a licensed Part A pharmacist or an intern or registered pharmacy student as long as the intern or student is under pharmacist supervision.
- A claim for payment is made after the MedsCheck at Home visit has occurred
- $ 150 per year per patient per year – PIN 93899987
- Cannot conduct service over the phone or through video conferencing or at the community pharmacy
- One review per year limit based on the date that the recipient had his/her previous MedsCheck at Home service
- If patient receives a MedsCheck at Home not eligible for a MedsCheck Annual, MedsCheck for Diabetes after the fact.
- Not eligible for a MedsCheck LTC unless the patient becomes a resident of a LTC Home
Please refer to the in-depth program information for more details.
MedsCheck at Home
To view PDF format files, you need to have Adobe Acrobat® Reader installed on your computer.
You can download this free software from the Adobe Web site.
For More Information
To learn more about MedsCheck talk to your Pharmacist or contact ServiceOntario, INFOline 1-866-255-6701 or TTY 1-800-387-5559